“Up to mountain Sion 1619”
www.divine-name.info/coins.htm

Origin: The Netherlands – 1619
Silver coin of the Synod of Dort (by W. van Bijlaer)

Image:

The temple on mountain Sion, below the radiating Divine Name, wind coming from 4 directions.

The temple is used as a symbol for heaven. Pilgrims are climbing the hill. The pilgrims are used as a symbol for ‘the wind of false indoctrination’, tossed back and forth by the waves – Ephesians 4:14.

Text:

ERVNT VT MONS SION CIC IC CXIX
“Up to mountain Sion 1619”

The Synod of Dort was set up by the Dutch Reformed Church, to resolve serious disputes caused by followers of Arminianism. Remonstrants had published a publication, in 1610, outlining the teachings of James Arminius. The main objective of the Synod was a rule between Remonstrants and opponents of the Remonstrants. The first meeting was on November 13, 1618. The President of the Council, Reverend John Bogerman of Leeuwarden, was an opponent of the Remonstrants. The Remonstrant party was summed, not as an equal party but as defendants. They were even excluded from the deliberations of the Synod on January 14, 1619. The Synod ruled in favour of the Contra – Remonstrants. The decision of the Synod of Dort was displayed in 5 main points known as the Canons of Dort. The Canons of Dort are part of the three official declarations of the Dutch Reformed Church in the Netherlands.

The Synod of Dort also decided to translate the Bible in dutch. The ‘Statenvertaling’ (The State Translation) was ready in 1637. Also adopted was the Canon Law of Dort, still used in many Reformed Churches.
The Synod closed on May 9, 1619, after 154 meetings. Members of Reformed Churches from eight foreign countries were present.

For more explanation and a larger picture please visit our page "Worldwide – The Netherlands – Dordt"

By ideacreamanuelaPps on 2009-05-16 11:25:27
tags

Print Friendly, PDF & Email